With the passing of my Spanish test, I was really hoping to get OFF this part of the roller coaster. Yes, I realize that life in the FS is somewhat like a roller coaster, anyway, with intense highs and intense lows and all that. That's one of the reasons I am so attracted to this lifestyle- never a dull moment.
But this applying to the FS roller coaster? Not so fun.
For the May, June, and August classes, I know that they invited people with lower ranks and scores than me. I now have a 5.57 and they invited people with 5.4s and lots of 5.47s and 5.5s. But those people were ranked in the 20s- only 1 or 2 were in the 30s, that I know of (reminder- I'm #30, although that can change daily). So it seems that the Consular register, like all the other registers, is growing very quickly, adding people at the top as well as the bottom.
For those unfamiliar with the FS, training classes are held every 6 weeks or so. Approximately 18-20 people per cone (Consular is my cone) are invited. They start from the top of the list and start inviting until they reach their quota. But a number of people on the list might be unavailable to get a call (we term it "Do not call" status) or might turn it down. So if there are enough DNCs (10-15 or so) on the Con list, I might get an offer for Sept. Or I might not.
Honestly, when I explain this stuff to friends and family, I feel ridiculous. "So does this mean you'll definitely get an offer?" they might ask. A matter of fact question, no?
But my answer, if I'm truthful, is: "Well, yes, if there are a lot of DNCs and they start extending offers soon and not a lot of Pickering fellows choose to join this class, and they authorize the class to start, and they approve the FY11 budget, and pigs don't fall from the sky..."
Seriously, it's absurd. And slightly embarrassing.
Invites for the Sept. class are supposed to go out sometime in July. I'm very, very grateful to be closer to making the cut. But honestly, maybe I won't. It really is a roller coaster.
(one final note. I want to thank everyone who commented on my blog recently and especially yesterday. The support of this community has been so heartwarming. Thank you.)
We packed up the family and joined the Foreign Service in 2011. Currently in: Mexico City, Mexico!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tulum with tweens
I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...
-
So, after eating nothing but tacos and junk food for the first six months of my life here, I had gained a few pounds. I started trying t...
-
What a day! I can't believe we got the DR. We are overjoyed! Today was totally intense. Around 3:15pm we were all in our seats, waitin...
-
1st round of offers went out today and did not head my way. I haven't checked recently, but think I was ranked about 24-28 before today....
6 comments:
Congrats on passing! you're one step closer.
I'm not on the register yet, and don't have my language points yet, but my boss yesterday made a comment like "well, you might not even be here in 6 months." I feel ya' on the rollercoaster.
Congrats congrats congrats for passing your Spanish test! Woo hoo - hope all goes as planned... I know the waiting game can be torture!
Yea you!!! You're on your way!
Don't worry! It's going to happen and soon!
thanks so much everyone!
Post a Comment