Monday, January 31, 2011

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

What a day! I can't believe we got the DR. We are overjoyed!

Today was totally intense. Around 3:15pm we were all in our seats, waiting anxiously, laughing nervously, learning how to use the Flag Day Bingo cards that a classmate had kindly created for us. I'm so glad I was sitting next to my classmate L. A few minutes later, we realized there was no way we could follow along with the bid list, Bingo, or anything else- all I could stand to do was watch and clap! It moved very quickly. The assignments started out with a bang when our classmate S was assigned to a Pol/Con rotation in Bangkok- a coveted bid for many members of our class! Her shocked reaction was priceless.

It moved quickly for me, although my family tells me I was in the last third to be called. Every time India popped up on the list, I held my breath. We bid 6 India posts high, so I thought there was a good chance we might go there (but I was hoping for certain posts more than others). Same for Mexico- in this case, we had only bid Guadalajara high, so I was nervous about the other posts.

Many of my classmates received posts that they are thrilled with- it seems like the CDOs really worked hard to accommodate pregnancies, spousal work/school issues, and even new love (well, maybe it wasn't intentional, but it sure is awesome). It was wonderful to see people get the posts they had been dreaming of.

Finally, my name was called for the DR! What a great feeling! I jumped up to get my flag and waved it joyfully at my husband and parents sitting in the back.

I should probably share why we are so excited about this post. First, I lived there about 12 (ouch) years ago for 6 mos on a short-term Peace Corps assignment. I fell in love with the country's beauty and diversity, the friendly people, the delicious food, and the bachata music. I know that Santo Domingo has its drawbacks, and I will need to learn what they are. I know it has changed since I was there. But in a few hours, you can travel to a gorgeous beach or head to the mountains for a refreshing change of climate. The warmth of the people is a big factor for me. And dancing bachata and merengue for hours pretty much equals the perfect night for me. I've already taught my husband to dance, but we'll have to start practicing again. I'm also relieved to have a first post that is so close and familiar to the US. I hope we'll have lots of visitors.

I'm also happy that we are leaving somewhat late. A lot of my classmates will ship out quickly. I really wanted to give the kids some time between moves, some time with their grandparents, and a chance to celebrate their birthdays here. In 2012, we will have Dominican blowouts complete with arroz con habichuelas and bachata music, but this year, we'll celebrate stateside.

So this is what I know: We leave in early August. I start Spanish on Monday, with quite a few of my classmates, so I wonder if we'll have more than 1 class. I'll take my Consular General (ConGen) class last.

A terrific guy from my class was also assigned to the DR, and tonight I chatted with a really friendly member of the 156th who heads there in June. According to my paperwork, the DR is one of the busiest consular sections in the world, so it sounds like there will be many people to get to know and lots of work to keep us busy.

I'm also delighted to overlap for a few months with my new friend at the blog For Lack of Tacos , who has been advising me over the last year about the FS with young kids. Hopefully I won't drive her crazy with my newbie questions!

Thank you everyone near and far for the good wishes!! We look forward to seeing family and friends in the DR!

Add caption

37 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations!

Andy said...

Congratulations, Bridget. I was thinking about you all day!

sclawgrl said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you guys. I'm also glad that the wait for the big day is over, and that the results were good for so many. Onward and upward.

Jill said...

Congrats! That's fantastic news!!

Lisa said...

mazel tov!

Sadie said...

congrats on getting a post you really wanted! enjoy these next few days - they'll fly by!

Becky M. said...

So jealous!!! In a really really good way!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!

Donna said...

So exciting! I'll bet you go back and re-read all of Taco's archives. Congrats to you.

Z. Marie said...

Yay! How exciting!

Sarah Novak said...

Totally pumped for you! We had bid that one high as well. Great post, the Visa work will be a lot like Manila in terms of volume. You'll be busy!

We've heard wonderful things about the Embassy community there. Congrats on a wonderful first post!

Aaron said...

I knew around 3:00CST that you weren't heading to Guadalajara, and I'll admit to being a little sad. Weird, as we've never met, but hey, that's what the blogosphere does. Glad you're excited about DR!

Kendra said...

Congrats!! that is so exciting!! It is so wonderful to get a post that you wanted, and it is the BEST feeling in the world to finally know where you are going and have an actual plan!! (for the next few years anyway:) How fun!! It is the perfect time of year to leave as well! We left end of July and it was great, you'll get your stuff in plenty of time to be settled in by the holidays and can enjoy both the end of the summer and the fall and winter months! Congrats again! yay for a good flag day!

H.H. said...

Congrats!!!!

Nomads By Nature said...

Congratulations, bachata baby! And now you know...Big exhale! Hope you are having fun celebrating and getting excited for all the adventures that await you and your family. Can't wait to hear more!

Melissa V said...

Congrats on getting a post that you want! I've heard so many good things about Santo Domingo from people who've served there - I'm sure you'll love it!

Meredith said...

Congratulations!! I know a number of families that are so very happy there - I am just plain happy that you are happy!

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

I'm happy for you too! Didn't get a chance to tell you last night.

World Travelers said...

Congratulations! But, I was actually hoping to see you here in Brazil....maybe next time!

Luna said...

Congratulations! I've bid Santo Domingo 3 times (I've bid 6 times total), and have yet to get it! I'm sure you'll have a great time there. Good luck!

Carla @ I Run, You Run said...

It really did seem that for the most part, people were super-happy with their posts. But I was certain I was going to have a panic attack waiting for Karl's name to be called (and we did get a high as well!)

Brooke S. said...

I have just been on pins and needles! (And I'm sure you have too) Congrats! That will be such a fabulous post. A good flag day is a great thing :)

Unknown said...

Yeah!! So so so happy for you guys! My cousin, Alyson Davidson, just began her Peace Corps service in the DR in August and was recently posted to Hato Mayor. I am planning to visit her perhaps this summer but likely later. Would be so fun to see you, too!
- Holly

Consular Hopeful said...

Congrats! How exciting. I can't wait to read all about it!

Tasha said...

HUGE congrats...so excited for you and your fam!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Congrats!

Helman Family said...

Congratulations to you!! This is very exciting and we are so very proud of you. We think of you all the time.

xoxo
katrina and fam

Gretchen said...

Congrats! I'm glad you got one of your top picks! :)

Bfiles said...

Thank you everyone!! I really appreciate all the nice comments!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Enjoy Spanish, then ConGen, then the DR! I'm sure it's nice to finally have some idea of what your next few months will look like!

fourglobetrotters said...

Congrats! What a great first post. I was sort of cheated out of the excitement of Flag Day when I was in A-100 because I already knew where I was going due to my tandemness. :) I always love hearing of others who get to have the full experience!

foxlangserv said...

Congrats! Your post kept me in suspense.

Anonymous said...

Sooooooo thrilled for you guys! Glad you'll get to say stateside for a while AND glad you're getting a post you're happy with! A visit from E could be possible! LOL. CONGRATS!!!

P.S. the weather up here has been horrible :((

Janine

Meredith said...

Congratulations!!!! Such a wonderful first post for you and your family - being that close to the States will be a nice perk as you adjust!! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures!

Brenda said...

Congratulations! So excited for you and your family! We have friends who are posted in the DR and they really love it. Tons of great things to do and very friendly people. Good luck getting ready to go!

Greta said...

How great! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning: Not sure if your offer of advice regarding the FSO process is still good as I know I am adding to your blog about two years after the last post...but I thought I'd ask. I've begun the process for a second time and would sincerely appreciate any guidance or advice you can provide if you have the time. Thank you in advance, I hope you and your family enjoyed a great Christmas Holiday...and good luck on your new assignment. Very Respectfully...Tom (td_long@yahoo.com)

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...