Sitting at home waiting for the pre-move surveyor to come. We pack out in 2 weeks. ACK! Before writing that, I didn't actually realize. Deep breaths.
My family left for Oregon yesterday. We usually go there every summer to visit with D's parents and 3 sisters, one of whom lives in Alaska w/ her husband and 3 kids. They will be gone for 11 days, which is the longest I've ever been separated from my babies. I'm sad I couldn't go with them- I am one of those lucky people who loves her husband's family and enjoys spending time with them. I also love Oregon and especially Sunriver, OR, where they are renting a home. My kids are going to enjoy some good old-fashioned American fun with their cousins- bike-riding, walking on trails, playing in the woodsy playgrounds...as we like to say in the B household, 'doesn't get much better than that.'
But the good news is that 1) I'll have uninterrupted time to get ready for packout, and 2) I love my job! I'm not sad in the least about having to go to school every day.
Consular training continues to be awesome. We have been doing interview role plays to prepare for the real thing, and although the first day was mildly terrifying, by the third, I felt pretty good. We finished non-immigrant visas and will soon start learning about American Citizen Services, i.e. all the ways we can help (or are unable to help) Americans in trouble abroad. I'm really hoping to be able to do a rotation in ACS while I'm in Santo Domingo.
Let's see, what else? We sold our little car in about 1.5 days. Nice work, D! Goodbye, Goldie...we will miss you. You were our first car and brought our little M home from the hospital. Thanks.
Still trying to ship the new one. What a nightmare of a process!
We have some 158th classmates leaving this week- goodbye and good luck, friends! See you next time!
Ok, off to review my to-do list!
We packed up the family and joined the Foreign Service in 2011. Currently in: Mexico City, Mexico!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tulum with tweens
I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...
-
So, after eating nothing but tacos and junk food for the first six months of my life here, I had gained a few pounds. I started trying t...
-
What a day! I can't believe we got the DR. We are overjoyed! Today was totally intense. Around 3:15pm we were all in our seats, waitin...
-
1st round of offers went out today and did not head my way. I haven't checked recently, but think I was ranked about 24-28 before today....
5 comments:
need any help in the car-shipping process? been there, done that. learned a few tips and tricks along the way.
dp
Wow, it feels almost like the end of an era with you getting ready to leave for post. And I remember when you weren't on the register! Best of luck and know the two weeks will go by quickly!
This week’s State Department Blog Round Up is here, and you're on it!
http://sadieabroad.blogspot.com/2011/07/state-department-blog-round-up.html
Please let me know if you have any objections and would like to be removed. Thanks for the submission!
Congratulations on being so close to shipping out! It sounds like everything is coming together perfectly.
Love the new background! How are things going? We are up to our ears with stuff - and not knowing what to do with any of it! Our pack out is next Tuesday... And yet, I strangely have time to check my favorite blogs :). Good luck!
Post a Comment