Our nanny's 11 year old daughter died today of complications due to sickle cell disease. I've been hearing about the little sweetheart since we arrived but never got to meet her. The poor thing spent the last month or two of her life in the hospital, being pricked every four hours and begging to go home. It sounds like she was such a character, full of life.
I don't know what is the right thing to do right now. We've only known her 4 months, but we've been following little V's progress closely and crying right along with mom every day. V's grandmom is the one who called us today, and she mentioned a funeral tomorrow which is not possible for me to attend. I don't know where they live or how to get there (they live outside the city but that's all I know), but I think I need to go pay my respects. Any advice is welcome.
Hug your babies extra close tonight.
We packed up the family and joined the Foreign Service in 2011. Currently in: Mexico City, Mexico!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tulum with tweens
I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...
-
So, after eating nothing but tacos and junk food for the first six months of my life here, I had gained a few pounds. I started trying t...
-
What a day! I can't believe we got the DR. We are overjoyed! Today was totally intense. Around 3:15pm we were all in our seats, waitin...
-
1st round of offers went out today and did not head my way. I haven't checked recently, but think I was ranked about 24-28 before today....
9 comments:
Oh that is so sad. I am so sorry.
Maybe the LES staff could guide you in how to best help or express your concern and sadness? What horribly tragic news. I think your heart will lead you right in how you move forward.
This is so so sad!
Here Caroline also experienced a tragedy with her helper, when she didn't show up to work and wouldn't reply to texts, she sent the driver to check up on her, and she had passed away at home alone (she was single, no kids). So sad!
(It was also a good reminder that we are employers, and therefore should have an "in case of emergency" family contact for our employees -- hope we never need it, but good to have.)
Maybe get her a card and give her some money in lieu of flowers to help w funeral costs?
:-( So sad.
So sad. As for proper etiquette I would first check with the LES staff at work then follow your heart.
Oh, wow, I am so sorry! Terribly sad! I would say definitely give an offering. Perhaps, as Shannon suggested, find out what LES folks might think is appropriate, but I am sure it would be appreciated.
Wow, so sorry to hear of your nanny's loss. Breaks my heart! I also do not know what would be appropriate in your host culture but agree with the suggestion of asking LES. Hope you come up with something that brings your nanny some comfort...
Funny I thought I commented to say thanks everyone. It's been sad- she came one day this week and cried the whole time. Otherwise, we're just telling her to call us when/if she's ready. Luckily we can do that.
The FSN staff was all over the place about what to do but seemed to think we shouldn't visit..so we didn't. We did forgive her debt- a blood transfusion she couldn't afford. Sadly, it wasn't enough.
Off to hug my babies.
So sad. I think the fact that you care and are understanding is the most you can really do.
Post a Comment