Sunday, August 12, 2012

One year: changes are coming

Yesterday was our year anniversary at post, which was a little funny since I’m still in London. I spent some time reflecting on it, though, because it’s an important date. It’s also strange since in many ways, it feels like our tour is almost over: we have our new assignment, which we’re thinking a lot about; we’re planning for the holidays and then it’s the New Year; everyone says your last six months fly by and I can see that happening with my friends who are leaving/left already. Suddenly there isn’t enough time to go to that favorite place one last time. But on the other hand, we are exactly 50% through our first tour, and I truly don’t want the time to rush by. I’ve always wanted to live on a Caribbean island full-time! I love my colleagues and friends. We have great managers. We have a beautiful apartment with views of the sea. And we can go to the beach or pool whenever we like! Wow, as I’m writing all of this down, I’m getting sad…I don’t want to leave yet.

Luckily, we still have another year, which won’t be exactly like last year for a few reasons. D was hired by the consular section and will hopefully start working in the next few months. He is excited about joining the Mission formally and being more a part of things. And the job will position him for future jobs in China.

But that means that we need someone to take the children to and from school each day. The kids will be attending their same schools this year, which was something D and I debated – he feels it would make our lives easier to send them to the school next door, so that the nanny could walk them there. He is right, it would be easier, but I feel it’s more important to provide continuity in their schools whenever possible, since we will be moving around so much. It would be one thing if they were struggling at school, but they are both happy, adapted, and bonded to their schools. So now we’re hunting for a new housekeeper.

It’s been a rough year with and for our nanny/housekeeper. She lost her only daughter to sickle cell anemia last year, so whenever I get too frustrated at her absences, I remember again- she lost her only child- and I feel guilty about wanting to fire her. We’ve kept her because she is trustworthy, kind, and bonded to our children. But her attendance has been spotty at best. Now that D is going to work, we need someone here much earlier (6:30am) who is 100% reliable. We would certainly give her a chance, except for one complicating factor: she is pregnant, and already having attendance issues. There’s just no way we can continue to employ her. I feel terribly about that.

So when I get back from London, we’re going to start frantically interviewing every lead we can find, in addition to searching for a driver, since almost no nannies drive. We have a driver we can use temporarily, if necessary, so I’m not too concerned about that. I’m a little worried about the kids adapting to all these changes, but we’ve come a long way in a year.

We’re looking for a live-in nanny/housekeeper, since 6:30am is pretty early to arrive from the poorer suburbs where most live. That means a) we have to clean out our storage room, and I don’t really know where all the stuff will go, and b) we’ll have to adapt to having someone here all the time. It will be different.

So like I said, lots of changes, but things still the same. L will have the same wonderful preschool teacher this year. M’s best friend will be in his class again. We’re looking forward to a great year.

6 comments:

alex said...

Congrats to your husband. I suspect he has the same job as my husband, who's really enjoying it.

Sara said...

I start in the CONS/NIV section here in Manila as soon as my clearance is re-newed. I can't wait. I hope he enjoys it.

We have a live-in now and we love it! I hope it works out for y'all.

Sara said...

renewed - yikes...

Daniela Swider said...

Congrats on your husband getting a job in consular! Sounds like an exciting opportunity. Best of luck to him and all of you adjusting to the new circumstances and finding the right people to help you with the kids!

k @ oh the many places! said...

i can't believe a year has gone by already! one more year till we are all back in DC for a spell!

Dani said...

Wow that 1 year mark! It really does fly by after that. So sad about your housekeeper that is a really, really tough position to be in. Hope all works out for the best.

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...