Sunday, March 24, 2013

Brunch

When I joined the Foreign Service, I heard that I would be doing a lot of entertaining, and I have found this prediction to be true. Of course, you don't have to host. There are plenty of restaurants and places to meet here. But I enjoy hosting newcomers within their first month of arrival, as I remember how much I appreciated those early invitations. And I feel tremendously accomplished when I pull off a meal that is both delicious and relatively simple. Put simply, I am learning to be a better host and cook in Santo Domingo, and I am pretty proud of it.

We hosted two brunches recently, and I think I have found an ideal menu.

Last time (with just 4 adults and 5 kids), this was my menu:
  • Spinach and cheese strata (made the night before, so in the morning I only had to pop it in the oven)
  • Sausages (only needed browning in the morning)
  • Waffles (this item was a little time-intensive and took me away from my guests)
  • Fruit salad (it would be a crime to host a brunch in the DR w/o fruit salad!)

This week, we were a group of 9 adults (ok, 2 were adolescents) and 3 kids. Here is my menu:
  • Baked brunch eggs  (this one is prepared partly the night before, and partly the morning of. I think I liked it better than the strata.)
  • Bakery blueberry muffins  (I made these when I first woke up. I figured they would be good for kids as well as adults. However, they were only ok. I think my oven temp is a bit off, and they burned on the bottom. I want to keep perfecting my muffin recipe, though, because I think this is a great make-ahead item.)
  • Roasted potatoes (I chopped the potatoes and onions the night before, and cooked them in the same oven as the eggs)
  • Scrambled eggs (for the kids, and because I was worried there wouldn't be enough baked eggs for everyone, but there were!)
  • Sausages again
  • Fruit salad of course
  • Bloody Marys!
I would say today's menu was pretty perfect, in terms of managing time and resources. D made the fruit salad and washed dishes while I prepared a drink station and finalized the meal. The other thing I did that saved time this morning was to set the table the night before. Usually I am crazed on the morning of a brunch, and today I was calm.

I liked this list of easy brunch items quite a bit.

Tell me, what are your favorite brunch menus or time-saving tips?




3 comments:

Sara said...

Smitten kitchen is my go-to when I'm looking for a new recipe. I have always wanted to try this recipe but never seem to have the time.
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/05/mushroom-crepe-cake/

Brooke said...

We are also headed to Guangzhou. It was also my previous tour. If you are curious to see our pictures from GZ, look at my archives from 2009-2011. Traci G, my colleague in Singapore told me to check out your blog.

Brooke said...

Oops, I just realized I left a similar comment on your blog last year. Oh well, hope you don't mind!

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...