 |
| Our rower? What to call her? |
When I was last in Thailand 13 years ago, I was so disappointed that I did not have the chance to visit a floating market. I find floating markets and villages so interesting! So this time, I was determined to go. There are apparently many in/around Bangkok. We decided to use
Bangkok Day Tours to visit a floating market, the bridge over the River Kwae, and an elephant camp. The company was terrific- very responsive by email and very attentive in person. The tour wasn't cheap, but we figured the elephant thing was something we would only do once in a lifetime, and it was a 12 hour tour covering a lot of distance.
The floating market that we visited was about 1.5 hours away from Bangkok. It is definitely for tourists and sells exclusively souvenirs and food, but it was totally amazing. We piled into a boat and set off around the canal. Most of the souvenir shops were actually on land, on the sides of the river, but there were some souvenir boats too.
The food and produce/fruit people were mostly in boats, some moving, some not.
 |
| The vendors used these long poles with hooks on the end to pull us in when we wanted to see their goods. |
I plan to visit a different market every time I go to Thailand. They are just too fascinating.
No comments:
Post a Comment