I think the shock has finally worn off. Here I am, back at work after vacation, usually a big bummer. But this time, everything's different. I have about 2 mos left in this lousy job- hooray! I am incredibly excited and also very scared about what's to come. I am not worried about getting ready, thankfully. Of course, talk to me in December, but we did tons of work over the last 2 mos, for which I am very grateful (note- if you're on the register or waiting, start decluttering now!).
I think right now, I'm worrying about our first post. I know a few people from the Sept class who were not thrilled about their assignments, and I feel for them. I do think that you never know until you get there. Some posts that you dread can turn out to be wonderful, and vice versa. I had an FS friend who was literally DYING to be posted to a certain former Soviet republic, and then had a miserable 2 years. So, I get that.
But I'm bringing my family with me, and that makes it harder. Since my husband is taking a real leap of faith with this adventure, I desperately hope for a post that will be good for him. And of course, a post that will be good for my children. And this is only post #1. We will be doing this again and again, which is exciting, and terrifying.
Yesterday, during naptime, I kind of wandered around, trying to figure out where to focus my energy and 2 hours of free time. I couldn't decide. We still have work to do, which I am probably underestimating, but I feel like the house is almost ready to put on the market. A few intense weekends, hopefully, will be all it takes. It's kind of hard, because I want to start sorting stuff into rooms in preparation for packout. But 1) it's too early- we need the stuff, and 2) we can't sell the house in that state.
P.S. M is really excited about moving to "Afferginia". Why is he so cute??!
P.P.S. Why won't the Westchester chapter of Freecycle let me in? I have some stuff to unload!!
We packed up the family and joined the Foreign Service in 2011. Currently in: Mexico City, Mexico!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tulum with tweens
I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...
-
So, after eating nothing but tacos and junk food for the first six months of my life here, I had gained a few pounds. I started trying t...
-
What a day! I can't believe we got the DR. We are overjoyed! Today was totally intense. Around 3:15pm we were all in our seats, waitin...
-
1st round of offers went out today and did not head my way. I haven't checked recently, but think I was ranked about 24-28 before today....
13 comments:
I can definitely relate to both your worries about the first and subsequent posts! I can also tell that you have lots of nervous energy and I'm feeling that too. You were very smart to declutter when you did. Good luck with getting the house ready to sell!
It's very normal to be nervous under the circumstances. There are a lot of unknowns. But I hear that for most people (your friend must be an exception) their first post is their best. It may have something to do with all the excitement and anticipation.
When you get your list, figure out what's most important to you (they'll tell you how to do it), do your research and have a clear bidding strategy. Discuss your concerns with your CDO. If you want a post that's good for your husband and children, make sure those are your criteria and you should get something you'll be happy with. Most people get their highs, a few get their mediums. I don't know of anyone that got a low. A lot of people say that the CDOs seem to know what you want/need better than you.
You did a lot of work getting ready before you got the offer, so those efforts should be paying off now.
Best of luck!!!
yea, I'm a worrier.
I'm going to try to chill out around bidding time, but am not sure how successful I'll be. :)
thanks to you both for your comments!
I took a small break from the blogosphere and look what happened! You got the call! Congratulations! So excited for you and your family.
I've found that I always think the next thing will make me relax, i.e. after the call, after flag day, after we get to post. But I think this lifestyle forces you, for better or worse, to become ok with uncertainty.
So excited for you!
thank you so much STM!
I agree, that's the way it is with every step of this process. Once we find out the post, then I'll go crazy researching it.
Today I'm not worrying. Just taking it a month or two at a time. :)
I have just discovered your blog, and I spent the last 2 days getting caught up on your posts in between other responsibilities...
I am an FSO candidate (surprise surprise!) and am about 2-4 months behind you in the process. I am currently in the investigation stage, waiting on security clearance and FSR.
Your posts are oddly similar to my own life (we are decluttering around 2 small children, a husband working long hours, and need to sell the house with or without as FS offer-but it will be much better with!). I just have to say thank you for letting me live vicariously, and for giving me a few laughs! I am trying to keep things in perspective, but I know my heart is already set on a particular outcome...
I am so very happy for you as you begin the dream. I am hoping to follow shortly in the same path!
hi Becky, thanks for commenting! I think I've seen you on the A100 board, haven't I? How funny that we share so much in common! If I can help w anything feel free to email me. I'll look forward to your blog! Best of luck getting through clearance, onto the register, and into A100!
It's a tad different between the way the FS and DS gets their assignments - so as much as I hear about it, I somewhat can't relate.
All I can say is that a post is entirely what you make of it. Sometimes it's a great fit for your family. Sometimes it isn't. I never realized how much I enjoyed the Middle East - a place that took 3 rounds of bidding to get.
And yeah - you'll totally thank yourself in a few months that you're totally organized! So so smart!
Let the countdown begin.
Oh, and yes, it was the Marriott. Is that where you were married?
There was a wedding during our stay, and they had fireworks. What a beautiful place to be married!
kinda late to the party... but I still brought a dish to pass...
Congratulations, lady! You worked so hard for this and must be so proud of yourself. Such a great feeling when things come together like this in life. You guys will do great at your new post in Afferginia. I hear it's beautiful there!
emily- no, we were at Dreams PV (was the Camino Real then) but we toured the Marriott - it's gorgeous!!
eve- thank you! Very excited over at the B household. Afferginia is really a great first post. :)
oh, and Jill- thank you, I will keep repeating the words that "a post is what you make of it". I do firmly believe that, and yet it can be forgotten easily.
Each post is absolutely what you make of it. There are certainly things you'll hate about each place, but the good will outweigh the bad if you choose to be happy. It sounds cheesy but it's true.
That said, you have little kids: look for a place with decent medical care, affordable childcare and good schools. If your husband wants to work, aim for a bigger post so he's more likely to find more options. That's it! My two cents...
Post a Comment