Monday, December 27, 2010

Lesson #1: Be flexible

So..we've had a little change in plans. There was this tiny snowstorm up and down the East Coast...some called it a blizzard...and now the front of the house looks like this:


And the street looks like this:


And it's going to be a bit difficult for a moving truck to park.

So we're on to Plan B. We postponed the packout and we're going to drive down later this week with lots of stuff (since my husband already took a load down on Saturday, we should be able to carry all the essentials). Then, we'll decide if we want to reschedule soon and have the UAB sent to us, or just load it into the car. We don't have that much for UAB, at this point. 

This all means that D will handle the HHE/storage packout alone, since I can't take any time off during A-100. I'm a little worried about this aspect of Plan B, but what can I do? So we might end up with our beach umbrellas in Vladivostok, but we'll roll with it.

We got a lot of snow. After being cooped up for days, little M was happy to get outside. He played for at least 30 minutes before the wind and cold got to him. L lasted only a few minutes.






You can tell it was a windy storm, as normally our covered porch stays snow-free...


I do love our house and street in the snow. They are so pretty.


A good lesson in FS flexibility.

11 comments:

Kate said...

It looks so, uh, snowy (but it is pretty-I can only imagine what a pain, though)! You only need one person for packout. I've done three packouts by myself and it's actually easier with no kids or pets and the movers have only one person they need direct their questions to. Just make sure hubbby knows not to let them pack food or trash! I opened our butter dish three months after packout and it was full of what was once butter. They also packed dirty dishes out of the sink. Good luck.

Lisa said...

B, do you have a gov't Monday holiday in there somewhere? I think you might. You can possibly resched your moving for that day since the moving companies are probably working. It's not ideal, but you'd be able to be around for it that way.

Melissa V said...

Yikes! Well, all I can say is that we didn't have any snow stick down here, and there is an insane and improbably forecast of 50F this weekend!

Sara said...

Gorgeous snow. What a beautiful house you have. I would love to have an older house in an older neighborhood like that someday!

A.R.K. said...

Enjoy the travel down -- looking forward to meeting you soon!

Papa Bruce said...

B and D: Great pictures. Cute kids. Glad you had the good sense NOT to travel to DC in the storm.

Daniela said...

The pictures are lovely. We would love to have the snow down here. We are still hoping to make a snow man.

Too bad it messed up your pack out plans though.

Your kids are cute as ever. Depending on where you end up they may not see snow for a while, so it's good in a way they got to enjoy the snow.

Bfiles said...

thanks for the nice thoughts, everyone!

Kate, I keep hearing these crazy packing stories, so they must be true, but it's so hard to believe! I'll make sure my husband stays alert!

Lisa, thanks for the idea!

Becky said...

What crazy timing! Hope training goes well for you.

Sadie said...

This week’s State Department Blog RoundUp is here, and you're on it!

http://sadieabroad.blogspot.com/2010/12/state-department-blog-roundup.html

Please let me know if you have any objections and would like to be removed. Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Donna said...

It does look pretty. But what bad timing!

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...