Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Random thoughts on packout

We're still here in NY, organizing and piling and packing and cleaning up messes. We kind of slowed down the pace after the packout was canceled. My husband took another load down to DC today. I will drive down tomorrow to take over care of the kids, who are with my parents (thank you, thank you!). We move into Oakwood on Saturday afternoon. Can't wait to get settled!

Some random thoughts about packout:

  • Do we have too many clothes? None of us is a clothes horse (is that the expression?), but we each have like 3-4 bags of clothes. We cannot travel abroad with this much. So of course, in a global sense, we have too many clothes. There are people around the world who have nothing but the shirts on their backs. I am really good about purging, but I do keep clothes that I don't love, but wear once in a while. That stuff has to go. And we'll see about the rest of it. 
  • Do we have too many toys? Yes, of course. This fact has been established. :) We're going to be very popular at Oakwood, I think, but we are going to be selective about how much of the toy store we take abroad. 
  • People have said this is the hardest packout, because we don't know how long we'll be in DC and where we're going afterwards. This can't possibly be true for us, perhaps because we live close enough to DC and have a house in which to store stuff for a while. When we move abroad, we really have to decide what are the essentials, and either travel with or send those things in our UAB. Right now, we are basically bringing everything we want. If we can't fit it now, we'll come back later and get it. We can bring 10 bags of clothes, including an entire suitcase full of suits. We can bring half-full bottles of olive oil and shampoo and even the frozen chicken in the freezer. That won't work when we leave for post (I hear departing FSOs have parties to give this stuff away). And then you have to worry about your suitcases making it and your UAB arriving. And of course, your choices about what to bring all depend on the country you're going to. Whew, I'm tired just thinking about it. 

Ok, back to work. Time to tackle the kitchen.

6 comments:

alex said...

Good luck on Monday!

Jen said...

I don't think it is the hardest pack-out either, as you can always get what you need here. Going overseas and arriving with only 1/20 (give or take) of what you need for the first few months...that can be trickier. Good luck!

LeesOnTheGo said...

You're almost DONE! =) Good luck with pack out and moving into your new place at Oakwood. I'm jealous b/c I can think of a few bloggy friends we have in common who are also Oakwooders. I'd love to get you all together over a glass of wine and just chatter! So, I'll vicariously enjoy that process through you.

I'd agree that this first move is tricky...but not as tricky as the overseas moves. I do think that the more moves we do the less sentimental I get about things I would have absolutely kept if I were living in one place for longer than a 3 year period. It also seems that the longer our family is out of the states the less we feel we "need". Not so hard to live on the local economy and leave non-essentials behind. (This from a girl who just spent $10 for imported Kraft cheese).

Looking forward to hearing about your start at FSI!

NKL

Jill said...

Wishing you all the best during this packout - and even more as you embark on your new career!

Happy new year! Here's to a great 2011.

H. Emerick said...

The twins and I arrived at Oakwood this week. We completely blew our UAB allowance and ended up driving a u-haul trailer down to DC with the car. Oh well. At least we will have what we wanted to have while we are here. Best of luck and get in touch when you get here if you need anything.

Aaron said...

You're fortunate to live so close. When we made the journey to Oakwood, we did so only with two dogs, a cat, two laptops, and however many clothes would fit in a Jeep Compass.

Moving is the hardest part of the FS, and it never gets easier!

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...