Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A-100, week 2

I have been trying to update this blog for days, but things are kind of chaotic around here. As many have said before me, A-100 is intense. There is homework for upcoming classes, online tests to complete, committee work to do, lots of socializing going on, and of course, the bid list to research, over and over again. And there is, of course, my family. It's fun and exciting, but very busy.

My husband has been totally amazing and I am really grateful to him. He has supported me and put my work first these last few weeks. He has stayed home with first L and then M when they spiked fevers, since missing A-100 is not an option for me. He has talked with me about the bid list non-stop for a week.

The kids are doing very well at FSI daycare. I feel a little left out, since my husband was the one to help them adjust the first 2 days and I don't really know what's going on there (a first for me). Now that I have the lay of the land at FSI, I'm mostly doing drop-off and pick-ups, but my husband helps a lot. I've taken them a few times on the Oakwood shuttle, and they love that. The A-100 schedule is diverse - some days you are at Main State (or start one place and end up at another) or another location downtown, so it's tricky to coordinate kid transportation.

And then of course, there is the bid list. For those who don't know, we received a list of approximately 70 posts. Each one has an ETA, language level required (some have none), and type of job indicated (Political, Economic, Consular, Public Diplomacy, or Management). We have to bid each post high, medium, or low, according to a list of 3 priorities. Here are ours:

1) Family friendly: relatively safe, affordable cost of living, adequate schools
2) Timing: we'd prefer a post that leaves after June, though there are a few irresistible early posts (in many cases, this means I'd be learning a new language, except for the Spanish posts for which I'd get a little more training)
3) Job: I prefer a Consular or Management job

Bidding is really a challenging exercise. I'm glad they ask us to identify our priorities and form a bidding strategy around them, as that practice really does help you flesh out what is important and helps you consider posts you may never have thought about before. Before I joined, I thought of bidding in regions- I'm really going to focus on Latin America, or I'd like to explore East or Southern Africa. But the list required me to think differently, which is why I think I was disappointed at first. The timing and job type really make a difference, and the posts are quite diverse.

Since I received the bump-up points for Spanish, I was automatically scheduled to take the full Spanish test. I scored a 2/2, which means I need about 12 weeks to get to a 3/3, according to FSI. I think this assessment is just right- I need some work, especially in reading comprehension, to get to a 3/3, and I definitely don't want to go to post and be expected to do Pol/Econ work without a better professional grasp of the language. So I look forward to learning more, if applicable.

I also took an informal French assessment (a quick test) and did well enough that they are scheduling me for the full test. That will be painful, as my French is extremely rusty.

There is so much more, but it's late and I need to get some rest. More this weekend, I hope, with photos, too.

12 comments:

Becky said...

Soudns like you are busy but good! Best of luck with everything.

Yang said...

I'm so glad you're keeping a blog, since you can summarize our days (or the level of chaos we are facing) much better than I can! :) My Spanish was 1/1, so I will need 24 weeks of training. Good luck with the French test! It's a major compliment to be scheduled the full test.

FSO Hopeful said...

Sounds exciting!

Z. Marie said...

A-100 bidding is such a drama-fest! Don't forget that wherever you go first tour will have a lot to do with where you end up second tour. No pressure or anything ...

Daniela Swider said...

A-100 is so exciting, so much new stuff to learn, new people to meet and of course the bid list to fret about. Can't wait to hear where you'll end up. Best of luck!!

Becky said...

I think if we had to go back to A-100 again, we'd be less stressed bidding. Pretty much all of the people who got hard assignments in my husband's A-100 are very happy with their onwards for 2nd tour. (And they found ways to be happy/enjoy/learn their first posts too.)

Good luck! I am sure you will make the most of whatever post you get.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear where you end up. Thanks for the update as busy as you are...

Aaron said...

I e-mailed you...as requested... :-)

Becky said...

It is time for the Weekly State Department Blog Round Up and you are on it!

It is found here:
http://smallbitsfs.blogspot.com/2011/01/part-2-new-stuff-and-100-or-so-blog.html

If you would like the links to your site removed (or corrections are needed) please contact me. Thanks!

Noble Glomads said...

Glad you finally made it. Welcome :)

Anonymous said...

Recently on the FS register for PD, I am finding blogs by mother FSO's in training. You mention the day care at FSI and I'd love to know more. We have a 4 year old and another on the way. Spoke with the daycare director there last week but cannot find much info elsewhere. Trying to decide if hiring a nanny is better as my husband may stay at his job until training is over. Any advice? This is all contingent on the wait for an offer.

Bfiles said...

thanks for all the supportive comments, all!

Melissa, email me at bbsunnydaysATgmailDOTcom and I'd be happy to share info. Congrats!

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...