Thursday, August 4, 2011

Survived my first packout!

Huge sigh of relief over here in B land! We did it. I made it through my first packout (if you recall...a small storm prevented us from packing out from NY in January. My husband packed us out of NY in April but I could not miss class).

So, I was up at 5:30am today, but it really wasn't necessary. I had just finished sorting the last areas of messiness when there was a knock on the door. Perfect timing! I am really quite surprised we were that ready. And my mama wasn't even here to help me! A little different from my past moves.

We had two packers; one of whom was 76 years old. He asked us to call him Pop- I'm pretty sure I've read about him elsewhere. I felt a bit guilty watching him wrestle with those full crates. They were rather slow, and some boxes were dropped as they were leaving, but I liked them- they were polite and fairly careful (my husband did have to rescue our new flat screen TV from an almost fall) and they didn't pack anything that said "DO NOT PACK." We basically had three areas for them to pack: UAB (unaccompanied air baggage) behind the couch, HHE (household effects- ground/boat shipment) in the kids room, HHE on the dining room table. They heeded our request to leave the kitchen and master bedroom alone. So, hopefully, no full trash cans or cooked hams have been packed (FS legends...). I'm fairly certain I didn't make a ham this morning.

The only thing I can't find is the flip flops I was wearing. And after they left, D asked me what we're doing with our laundry baskets. Whoops! Guess my mom is getting some new baskets.

I forgot the best part!! 700 pounds (our allotted air shipment for a family of four) is a LOT of stuff! They took one look and said, that's not enough. I brought out more stuff THREE TIMES! Honestly, I'm pretty sure we could live off our UAB easily. We'll see when we get there, won't we?

A random thought - I was just looking at my UAB pics from December, and I think I had things much more organized this time around. I bought a lot more plastic storage boxes and used them plus the kids toy storage units to group and organize things. I didn't quite get to the magnificent level of the Kerns family, but there's always next time. Let me tell you- the movers did not mind AT ALL that some boxes were packed for them. I have to believe it was easier and quicker for them and better for me on the other side.

Another random tidbit- I didn't realize that the day of packout would be so relaxing! Who knew!? Once they arrived, my job was basically done.

And now, some photographic proof. Can't believe it's finally happening!

These big guys are the UAB boxes. We had 4.5 of them.

I liked how if they didn't have a box, they just wrapped it up in paper. Hope the wrapping survives the journey. 




Goodbye stuff! Have a safe journey! See you in the DR!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh happy day! The beginning (again) of your journey (another one). It will be nice to know you'll be in the same place for a couple of years. Indeed, you can put a lot into 700 lbs of UAB, then it's like and overwhelming Christmas storm when the rest arrives.
Safe travels to you and your family!

njtworld said...

Congratulations. Enjoy your new adventure.

Barry said...

The photo of your parked moving van looked eerily familiar . . .

http://lindseymaesmith.blogspot.com/2010/04/pack-it-up-and-ship-it-out.html

Becky said...

Good luck! Safe travels.

Brooke S. said...

AHH! That is so exciting!!

We accidently packed all of my husband's socks and underwear... As well as the oakwood bathroom rugs and towels. Don't tell them.

Travel safe - can't wait to hear all about it!

LeesOnTheGo said...

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done! It's never, ever easy to get ready for a move. But when it's done you can breathe a big sigh of relief. And when you get to the DR & have forgotten what's in all the boxes & are living just fine without them you'll wonder why you don't live so simply all the time.

...until your HHE arrives & you get to re-meet all of your wonderful, homey, personal, nearly forgotten treasures. It'll be like Christmas!

NKL

PS- Can you even believe how far you've come since you started this blog? Well done!

Daniela Swider said...

Must be such a relief to be packed out. I bet it makes your DR adventure that much more real! Here's hoping you have a terrific first assignment

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...