The three of us went to Monte Cristi, where A is posted, which is in the northeast of the country, close to the Haitian border. I was pleasantly surprised about Monte Cristi - it's a lovely city, right on the water. They have an expat hotel that serves delicious cafe con leche and batidas. I would visit every day if I lived there.
| Family resemblance! A is on left and H on right |
On Saturday morning, we visited Dajabon, the border city, and walked along the Haitian border. It was pretty heartbreaking- even right there at the border, you could see the differences between the two countries. Haitian women were washing clothes in the river- that wasn't happening on the DR side.
| This is just a pretty scene in Dajabon, DR |
And here a few scenes from around town. There are large homes like the first photo here, and smaller, more modest homes that are just as beautiful. Monte Cristi also has an Eiffel Tower donated by France. :)
It was a wonderful trip and I'm grateful to our host A. It was so fabulous to see H and spend time with her after 5 years since our last visit! Here's to H and A visits at all our posts!
2 comments:
It was such a wonderful visit, B!! Thank you for being such a perfect host. :) -H
What an awesome reunion and adventure! It is strange to be so close to Peace Corps and yet not be in it again, isn't it?
Post a Comment