Thursday, October 7, 2010

After the call

I think I am still in shock about my offer. I'm glad I don't have to concentrate on work right now (we're in DC for vacation), because I am pretty distracted.

I don't really understand how it happened, but I am certainly glad it did. We were told this class would be small, and I was ranked 23/155 as of Friday, so my offer means a lot of people are DNC or it's a large class after all. I hope for everyone's sake, it's the latter. A few people below me got offers, too. (*Update: just heard that only 12 offers were extended. I can't believe 14 people were DNC- I thought there was no way that was possible.)

I am trying to get our housing and daycare straightened out and then I can concentrate on the house in NY. Thankfully, FSI daycare has spots for our kids (they've only been on the waiting list for 7 months). I'll visit tomorrow just to check it out. If Oakwood has room for us, too, we'll be all set. (*Update: Reservation confirmed at Falls Church! Yes!)

I guess I need another little FAQ for my non-FS friends/family.

When do you move and start work?
I start Jan 3, so we'll move to VA at the end of December.

When do you find out where you're going?
We will find out at the end of the 5 week training period.

How long will you be in the DC area?
It all depends on our assignment. If we are assigned to an English speaking or non-language designated post, we might leave within ~3 mos of arriving in DC. If we are assigned to a language post, we could be here for up to 11 mos, depending on the complexity of the language. If we get a DC assignment, we'll be here a year and will immediately bid on our next assignment.

What about your house?
We're going to try to sell it asap. If that doesn't work quickly, we'll try to rent. Until we do, D will stay in NY and keep working. So the kids and I will be in DC alone and see Daddy every weekend. It won't be easy, but we'll get through it.

Where will you live in DC?
New FSOs can either live in housing they find on their own (we receive lodging per diem to cover it) or in furnished apartment complexes in Northern VA paid for by the State Department. We will be living in the complex in Falls Church which has a playground, pool (not exactly handy in January, but we may still be there come summer!), kids activities, and best of all, other FS families to meet. I am thrilled to be able to just move in and not worry about finding a place and setting up utilities, furniture, and all that.

That's it for now. Thank you again, everyone, for all the support. I still can't believe we are doing this.

13 comments:

Daniela Swider said...

I am so happy for you that I have to congratulate you again! Best of luck getting ready to move and selling the house. And it's terrific that you were able to get both kids into the FSI day care - that will save you a lot of hassle!!!

Jen said...

Again, so happy for you guys and that everything is falling into place! All of your prep work is really paying off!

David L. said...

Congratulations and best of luck.

That Lady, There! said...

Again, I just have to say it: Your story is inspirational.

alex said...

It's funny how when it finally happens, everything moves so quickly! Don't get used to that, of course... =)

Congrats again!

Jodi H said...

Okay, so I have already said congratulations a few times, but just wanna' say it again! So happy for you! Good luck with the move!

A.R.K. said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you and your family when you arrive in January!

Nick said...

I got the call, too! Must have just made the cut-off. I thought my chances were slim for a full class; if there were only 12 per cone, the list must be mostly DNCs.

Good luck with the transition and look forward to meeting you in January!

-Nick G.

Bfiles said...

thanks so much, again, everyone!
What a sweet comment, That Lady..I appreciate it.

Nick- congrats and see you in Jan!!

Sara said...

Wow! You got a spot! I am so happy for you. So very happy for you. I can't wait to hear about your journey.

Melissa V said...

I'm sooooo excited for you! It's like I'm going through the past couple of months all over again. You guys are going to have a great time! Honestly, I think I might be a little jealous. Having a first tour at Main State is great, but I do miss FSI.

Jill said...

Congrats on the call! Life is about to change fast. I'm so excited for you and I'm happy your dreams are coming true. We're headed to London next month for our first post. Can't wait to find out where you're headed early next year. Take care!
-Jill

Mizzenplace said...

Congrats! and thanks for the wonderful blog.

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...