Thursday, January 6, 2011

The first few days

I've often been disappointed when bloggers start A-100 and just disappear...only to resurface later sharing very few details about A-100. Well, I get it now. Moving is exhausting and stuff is everywhere. I don't find the day too overwhelming (yet), but when I come home, I have tons of email messages to read/respond to, plus plans to make with my new colleagues, and I just haven't gotten to the blog. PLUS, there's this little problem that we are not allowed to share what happens during A-100.

So, I'll say this. There are 64 of us, about 1/3 women, and only a few moms (but lots of dads). As has been said before, everyone is amazingly accomplished and terrifically nice. I've almost got all their names down. Almost.

A-100 is amazingly well-run. I'm totally impressed at the organization.

And we got our bid list today. As some of you frequent blog readers will know, I'm not allowed to share specifics on the blog. I can say that the list was not what I expected. I thought there would be lots of opportunities to learn certain languages, but there aren't. I'm really trying not to get too worked up about the list. I understand we may go to any of these posts, and I know my Spanish may be what's needed by the Service. My full Spanish test is on Monday, so I'll get an idea of which Spanish posts I am most qualified for.


That's all for now.

20 comments:

Lisa said...

It's hard to say a lot about A-100, since they really discourage extensive disclosure. That being said, I found so much of it to be just sitting in lectures listening to stuff that really didn't make for interesting fodder to report. That was diplomatic, rigth ;)? Can't wait to hear more about your prospective postings!

eve said...

Very exciting time! Hope your family is settling in well. Good luck with your test next week! And best of luck bidding.

Becky said...

I am impressed that you posted at all on your blog! A-100 is nuts and with the bid list and things you are so busy. (And you have two little kids to boot!) Good luck with the Spanish test and the bid list!

Melissa S. said...

So excited to hear how D, M, and L will do! If you go to a Spanish speaking post, will you leave in 3 months, then?

Anonymous said...

How nice of you to blog about it. Best of luck and Good Luck with the test. If you can share how that goes...let us know. I know I am curious, since I will hopefully get to test...eventually...

Bryn said...

Getting the list was the most awesome and terrifying day!!! Good luck and I can't wait to hear where you are going!

Daniela Swider said...

So excited for you! You are enjoying A-100, meeting new friends, and you got your bid list. Best of luck on your language test! Can't wait to hear more.

Becky M. said...

Thanks for posting! At the risk of building it up too much, I can't wait to get our bid list. Keep in mind that there is always something interesting and amazing about new places, no matter where they are!

Best of luck in the research, and we are now counting down to Flag Day!

Jodi H said...

Ooooh! So exciting!!

Melissa V said...

I blogged short posts 5 times during my A-100 - I think you're already ahead of that curve! I hope there are some good posts on the bid list though - you never know where you may end up. Also, I hope you enjoy your last speaker/presentation tomorrow!

Kendra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kendra said...

OOO! Bid list day, that is so exciting! I was going crazy that day waiting for my hubby to bring it home! I am impressed with you for sure, I am glad you are still posting...and we all know, we don't really need the details of A-100, just to know how you are liking the life of being in A-100! Anyway, our list was not what I expected either, who knows maybe opposite of yours perhaps!! But just a sidebar, and I don't want to pump up your dreams to have them dashed, but as they say it is a "living" list. My husband told me it could change, but I didn't really believe him. Istanbul was NOT on our original list, but then 1 week later they added it and here we are:) So who knows...it is always exciting though to just find out! Good luck with your test next week! And have fun getting to know your A-100 pals! We have loved all of ours. It is so fun to keep in touch with everyone later too and keep tabs on the posts you did not end up going to!!

Z. Marie said...

It's all so exciting. I'm excited for you even though we've done it all before. Yay for the bid list! And good luck with Spanish.

Linsey said...

The weekly FS blog round-up is posted, and you're on it.

http://www.ramblesandruminations.com/2011/01/weekly-department-of-state-blog-round.html

Let me know if you'd like to be removed.

foxlangserv said...

It's great you are settled in. Sorry the bid list isn't what you'd hoped for. Thanks for sharing what you can about A-100.
Adam

Sara said...

Costa Rica! This is a great place for a Spanish speaker! Plus it's a great family post. Anyway...I hope you get something you like.

Janine S said...

Glad you guys made it safely and are settling in. E was thrilled to get a letter from M!! How did the kids to at their new day care? Miss you guys! Hope all is well and best of luck to you all!

Janine

Coco Recommends said...

Enjoy A-100!

Anonymous said...

Hoping for the fall class. How long before you started training did you have to get settled? It looks like you moved on a Saturday and started Monday?

Bfiles said...

melissa, can't figure out how to email you. Yes, we moved Sat and started Mon. That's the earliest that State will pay for you to move in. I know others who came earlier to get kids into school but my husband took care of it on Mon. Good luck getting the call!

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...