Sunday, January 2, 2011

We're here!

Well, we made it. We shlepped our UAB down here all by ourselves and moved into Oakwood Falls Church on Saturday pm. I had promised my pop THIS time he wouldn't have to move me- the State Department would- so I was a little embarrassed to be eating my words. My mom, pop, and brother helped us move our 1 minivan, 1 truck, 2 SUVs, and 1 sedan worth of stuff into the apartment. It felt a lot like moving into a college dorm, though the digs are much nicer and I have two small appendages now. Thank you, thank you, family!!! You are the best!

I'm bummed I don't have photos of the process or of our apartment before it got hit by a tornado of stuff, but there was just too much going on.

I'm impressed and pleased with Oakwood. I really like the way the apartment is set up and furnished. Once we get our stuff put away, I'll post photos.

The kids are doing extraordinarily well. They were a little hyper yesterday after all the excitement, but that was it. Tomorrow Daddy will take them to FSI daycare for a few hours, to let them get used to it. They will have their first full day on Wednesday.

The 156th class threw a great welcome reception for us tonight and I enjoyed meeting my classmates, their spouses, and members of the 156th. I can't believe tomorrow is our first day. I can't wait to get started.

17 comments:

Meredith said...

It was great to meet you too! Welcome to the FS!

Bethany Davidson-Widby said...

I've been following your journey and it's great news to hear that you're finally there!

Looking forward to hearing more soon :-)

Hopefully that will be me this time next year :-)

Best,
Bethany

http://www.raisingawanderer.com/

Anonymous said...

I remember this day exactly. What excitement and opportunity for you! A-100 will be exhausting but great. We met some super people in my husband's class. Will your husband be able to attend the spouse training? I highly recommend it. Counting down to Flag Day! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I remember this day exactly. What excitement and opportunity for you! A-100 will be exhausting but great. We met some super people in my husband's class. Will your husband be able to attend the spouse training? I highly recommend it. Counting down to Flag Day! Good luck!

Sadie said...

very exciting! can't wait to hear about the bid list. have a great first few days!

Papa Bruce said...

Enjoy the new adventure!

H.H. said...

Best of luck! I hope we cross paths at FSI :)

Becky said...

Wonderful! Best of luck! I look forward to following your adventure.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fourglobetrotters said...

Welcome to the gang! A-100 is a really special time so I hope you enjoy it. :) Look forward to hearing where you end up.

PS: Don't try to do laundry at the Oakwood on a Sunday evening.

Jen said...

Glad you are settled in and hope it is a great first day!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Good luck & have fuN!

eve said...

Excellent news! Hope to run into you sometime at fsi. Congratulations to you all and a big fat welcome.

Sara said...

Welcome to VA! I have lots of good suggestions for you...food wise. Bangkok 54 on Columbia Pike next to the Cinema draft house is one of my favorites for Thai. Faccia Luna in Clarendon is awesome pizza and Italian. Lost Dog Cafe also now on Columbia Pike is amazing pizza, subs, and milk shakes and has a great craft beer selection. Myagi Sushi in Mclean, VA is my all time fav hole in the wall for sushi. Moby Dick's for kebabs is awesome also a branch in Clarendon. Carlyle in Shirlington is one of my favs too. Oh the possibilities are endless. My mouth is watering thinking about all our favorite spots in our neighborhood. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I just happened to click on Digger's blog to pull something off for a friend, and saw that she was welcoming your A-100 class and moving your blog to FS blogs! I haven't read you the last few months because our internet still isn't sorted out here at post, but I was THRILLED for you when I saw that you got an offer!!! Congrat's. Enjoy every minute of A-100. It is a blast. Ooh, and update with how many are in your class. We've been wondering at post what's going on with hiring.

Throwing off the Bowlines (which I haven't updated in ages, due to said internet issues)

Shannon said...

WooHoo! Congrats on finally making it. Let the fun begin.

LeesOnTheGo said...

***YEAH!*** Congratulations, Welcome to the FS, Happy moving in to your new apartment week, and look forward to reading all about your Class 156 days here on your blog!

NKL

Tulum with tweens

I'm still here! Thought I'd write about our vacation to Tulum this past week. The kids' school is off for 'fall break,...